It's been a lovely summer and it feels like a very long one. We've had a short break in Kent and a couple of days in London and now my parents and brother are here staying for the week. I've been at work one day a week, and that's been a nice escape and the kids have all had time away at camp and grandparents.
But now I am ready for school to resume and normality to come back. I like a break and a rest, but then I love routine too and I really am craving some quite times to myself without any shouts of mum or moans as they wind each other up and bicker.
At the risk of sounding like a broken record I have realised (again) that I must lose weight and this isn't just something I fancy, it really is something I MUST do. I have developed carpel tunnel syndrome in one hand, I still have pains in my left foot that never go away, my calves ache after too vigorous exercise, I have arthritis in my knee joints and my right thigh goes numb/ has pins and needles if I stand for too long. Add that to asthma and high blood pressure and you can see that I need to do what I can to try and give my body a fair chance at being healthy.
I've been burying my head in the sand for too long and I need to put as much effort into my own health as I do to anything else in my life. Nothing else will give me the quality of life that a healthier body would, so it completely makes sense to invest in that area. It really does seem crazy that I choose to eat too much and the wrong foods, rather than sacrificing a few calories.
I see the kids going back to school as a new beginning, a time when I can again focus on me and I've started to make some positive changes to help me achieve what I need to -
- I've booked a doctors appointment to get weighed and be accountable, also to discuss my carpel tunnel, which has progressed to being painful most days
- I've joined a group of gyms, which means there are ones local to where the kids do clubs and I can thus fit in some exercise around existing commitments
- I've started to read the FAST diet, and that is about fasting rather than it being quick acting. I have been praying for quite some time and realising that I need to do at least one day a week where I fast and eat less, so that food can lessen its hold on my life and it stops being so important.
- I've stopped burying my head in the sand and arranged to meet my coach so we can talk and she can help me to understand why I've been buying my head this summer!
A week today my parents will have left and I won't be going out for any more meals/ coffees etc for a while and I need to knuckle down and see how I can help myself. With a first goal in mind of a short break to Spain in the October half term. Wish me luck!
I hope you've had a great week, Mich x
Come and Join In!
I'd love to read your Reasons to be Cheerful and it is as easy as 1, 2, 3 to join in -
1. Link up a post about something that is making you super happy/ grateful. It can be in this style or it can be anything you like - a recipe, a tutorial, a from the heart, a list - it's your blog, you choose
2. Add the #R2BC badge onto your post or blog so that people can easily find the linky and join in too if they fancy
3. Share the love. This is the really important bit. Please don't just link and run, comment on at least a couple of posts and why not share with #R2BC too?
I'll stop by all linked up posts to comment and I'll share on twitter too